In 2012 Sleep Scotland began piloting a new model for rolling out the Sound Sleep programme within High Schools. The model involves a Sound Sleep Ambassador (a teacher, school nurse, parent volunteer etc.) from the school along with a group of S6 pupils.
Key aims of the model
- To raise awareness of the importance of sleep
- To raise the level of knowledge on sleep
- To help pupils who are experiencing problems with their sleep
Sound Sleep Ambassador
- A teacher, school nurse, parent volunteer etc.
- Trained by Sleep Scotland on Sound Sleep (and ideally, Sleep Counselling)
- Trains and supports the S6 Mentors following a structured Sound Sleep Mentor Training Programme
- Works with the PSE teachers to deliver the Sound Sleep lessons as part of the Curriculum for Excellence
- Works with the Pupil Support Team to facilitate meetings with pupils requiring Sleep Guidance or Sleep Counselling
- Works with Head/Deputy Head Teacher and Parent Council to raise awareness of sleep within the school
- Offers a Sleep Counselling service to pupils with more complex sleep issues
Sound Sleep Mentors
- Recognised throughout the school as ‘experts’ on sleep
- Raising awareness of the importance of sleep through advertising campaigns, drop in sessions and assembly presentations within the school
- Offers information, advice and Sleep Guidance to students who have been ‘referred’ due to sleep issues
- Refer complex cases to their Sound Sleep Ambassador
- Represent the school’s Sound Sleep team at Parent’s Evenings, Curriculum Evenings and other events
- Assist in the delivery of Sound Sleep lessons across all years as part of the Curriculum for Excellence
Helping Pupils Experiencing Sleep Problems
- Pupils can self-refer or be referred by a teacher or parent
- Referral form available on school website, from any Sleep Mentor or from the Pupil Support Team
- A Sleep Mentor will meet with the pupil and go through the Sound Sleep Questionnaire, offer basic information and guidance then ask for Sleep Diaries to be completed over a 2 week period. If it’s a complex case they will refer the case on to the Sound Sleep Ambassador.
- The Sleep Mentor will prepare a Sleep Guidance Programme for the pupil and continue meeting with them to support them until their issue is resolved.