Fabulous course. Extremely useful content. I am looking forward to implementing the programme.
Sound Sleep is an education programme that raises awareness in schools of the importance of sleep for health and wellbeing, and helps pupils implement positive sleep habits in their routines.
What is Sound Sleep?
Developed by Sleep Scotland, Sound Sleep Primary (launched 2018) and Sound Sleep Secondary (launched 2011) consists of a training day and teaching resource resource pack for professionals working in either Primary or Secondary schools.
The information provided by Sound Sleep education gives young people the tools they need to:
- Identify when they are not getting enough sleep
- Recognise the symptoms of poor sleep
- Understand the barriers to good sleep
- Make changes to get a good night’s sleep
The simple, useful forms and tools from the Sound Sleep resource pack and the Mentor Model help to empower young people to take control of their sleep.
The Sound Sleep teaching resource pack is included in the training for trainers course, and is also available for purchase by professionals who have attended a training session run by a Sound Sleep trainer.
The Sound Sleep teaching resource pack contains:
- Background information
- Curriculum guidelines
- Lesson plans
- Lesson resources, including handouts and PowerPoint presentations
- Additional resources
To purchase a copy of either of the Sound Sleep teaching resource pack for primary or secondary schools, please contact us.
Sound Sleep for primary schools
You can obtain further information about the Sound Sleep Primary School teaching resource pack and training in the following documents:
Lesson preview – Primary 1-2
Sound Sleep for secondary schools
You can obtain further information about the Sound Sleep Secondary School teaching resource pack and training in the following documents:
Lesson Preview – S5-6
In 2012, Sleep Scotland began piloting a new model for rolling out the Sound Sleep programme within high schools. The model is built around a Sound Sleep Ambassador (a teacher, school nurse, parent volunteer etc.) from the school along with a group of S6 pupils.
Sound Sleep Ambassador
- Trained by Sleep Scotland on Sound Sleep as a minimum (ideally, trained as a Sleep Counsellor)
- Trains and supports the S6 Mentors following a structured Sound Sleep Mentor Training Programme
- Works with teachers to deliver the Sound Sleep lessons as part of the Curriculum for Excellence
- Works with the Guidance/Pupil Support/Support for Learning/Pastoral team to facilitate meetings with pupils requiring sleep guidance
- Works with Head/Depute Head Teacher and Parent Council to raise awareness of sleep within the school
- If trained appropriately, offers a Sleep Counselling service to pupils with more complex sleep issues
Sound Sleep Mentor
- Recognised throughout the school as ‘expert’ on sleep
- Raises awareness of the importance of sleep through poster campaigns, drop-in sessions, quizzes and assembly presentations within the school
- Offers information, advice and sleep guidance to students who have asked for help due to sleep issues
- Refers complex cases to their Sound Sleep Ambassador
- Represents the school’s Sound Sleep team at Parent’s Evenings, Curriculum Evenings and other events
- Assists in the delivery of Sound Sleep lessons across all years as part of the Curriculum for Excellence
Helping Pupils Experiencing Sleep Problems
- Pupils can self-refer or be referred by a teacher or parent
- Referral form could be available on school website, from any Sleep Mentor or from the Guidance/Pupil Support/Support for Learning/Pastoral team
- A Sleep Mentor will meet with their fellow pupil and offer basic information and guidance on sleep, asking them to complete sleep diaries for a 2-week period
- The Sleep Mentor will prepare a Sleep Guidance Programme for the pupil and continue supporting them until their issue is resolved